LIBRARY & ACADEMIC
TRADE FAIRS & CONFERENCES
Jobs and Internships
ARTBOOK seeks a part-time Bookseller: an individual with an interest in modern and contemporary art, a passion for books, and a commitment to superior customer service. The position is sought for the new brick & mortar art bookstore, ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth, in Downtown Los Angeles. With a focus on contemporary art and culture, the store complements and contextualizes current gallery and museum exhibitions and features new developments in art practices and criticism. Reporting to the Bookstore Manager, Booksellers will be responsible for the daily operation of the store as well as inventory management and customer service.
• Cultivate customer relationships and help manage correspondence and email lists
• Be responsible for making sales in-store, over the phone, and via email
• Keep the store well stocked, tidy, and organized
• Provide daily sales reporting to the Bookstore Manager using the Point of Sales system
• Assist with special events programming
• Provide information and pass on knowledge to visitors about the book selection as well as concurrent exhibitions at Hauser & Wirth and in the LA area
• Provide content for social media and customer outreach efforts
A qualified candidate:
• Has a strong interest in the arts and wants to learn more about contemporary art and publishing
• Is based in Los Angeles and possesses either a Bachelor’s Degree in the fields of contemporary culture, art, art history, or philosophy, or a minimum of two years’ experience in a bookstore
• Has a flexible schedule and is available at least 3 days a week, including holidays and some evenings for events/openings
• Has experience in a retail environment working with a team
• Has strong computer skills and is proficient in Excel
• Is detail oriented, can prioritize effectively, and is able to meet deadlines
• Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills
An ideal candidate also:
• Possesses a knowledge of modern and contemporary art or publishing
• Is an avid reader
Applicants who meet the above qualifications, including the required work schedule, may apply by emailing a letter of interest and résumé to Skúta Helgason, Retail Director, to email@example.com with “Bookseller Position H&W” in the subject line before July 22. ARTBOOK will review all applications and contact those who are most qualified to schedule an interview. Employment references will be requested and offer of employment is subject to a background check. ARTBOOK is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants receive consideration without regard to race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law.
About ARTBOOK, LLC
Founded in 2004, ARTBOOK partners with cultural organizations seeking to enrich their programming with the editorial content that a focused selection of well-conceived, authored, and designed books makes possible. ARTBOOK runs bookstores at MoMA PS1 and the Walker Art Center in addition to numerous pop up stores at art and photography fairs. On the web, artbook.com hosts e-commerce partnerships with museums and cultural institutions, including the Guggenheim Museum, The Whitney Museum of American Art, the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis Institute of Arts and Creative Capital. ARTBOOK LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of D.A.P./Distributed Art Publishers, Inc.
About Hauser & Wirth
Opened to the public in March 2016, Hauser & Wirth is a new destination in the heart of the burgeoning Downtown Arts District of Los Angeles. The gallery occupies the restored Globe Mills complex, an abandoned group of interconnected late 19th and early 20th century buildings and outdoor spaces that have been adapted by Creative Space, Los Angeles, in consultation with Annabelle Selldorf, Selldorf Architects. Here visitors discover innovative exhibitions devoted to modern masterworks and important contemporary art, as well as public programs and educational activities that contextualize the art on view for diverse audiences.
ARTBOOK | D.A.P. and ARTBOOK Retail sponsor internships throughout the year, requiring a 3 month/2-3 day-a-week minimum commitment. Hours are flexible. Fall Internships run from September through December. As an intern you will be exposed to both the contemporary art world and an intimate, well-rounded view of the publishing industry. Interns will be invited to attend field trips/lectures at art and publishing institutions organized by the Internship Coordinator. Office internships are available for college credit. Only enthusiastic applicants need apply. For openings in New York and Los Angeles, click through the icons above.
For ARTBOOK | D.A.P. New York Office internships, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 6 for consideration. Please write "Fall Internship" in the subject heading.
For ARTBOOK | D.A.P. Los Angeles Showroom internships, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September 6 for consideration. Please write "Fall Internship" in the subject heading.
For ARTBOOK @ MoMA PS1 internships, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "Fall Internship" in the subject heading.
For ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth internships, please email your resume and cover letter to the intern coordinator at email@example.com. Please write "Fall Internship" in the subject heading.
the art world's source for books on art & culture
| || |
Showroom by Appointment Only
75 Broad Street, Suite 630
New York NY 10004
Tel 212 627 1999
Showroom by Appointment Only
818 S. Broadway, Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90014
Tel. 323 969 8985
D.A.P. | Distributed Art Publishers, Inc.
All site content Copyright C 2000-2017 by Distributed Art Publishers, Inc. and the respective publishers, authors, artists. For reproduction permissions, contact the copyright holders.
The D.A.P. Catalog