LIBRARY & ACADEMIC
TRADE FAIRS & CONFERENCES
ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth Jobs & Internships
ARTBOOK seeks a full-time Bookstore Manager: an individual with a strong interest in modern and contemporary art, a passion for books, and a commitment to superior customer service. The position is sought for a brick & mortar art bookstore, ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth, in Downtown Los Angeles. With a focus on contemporary art and culture, the store complements and contextualizes current gallery and museum exhibitions and features new developments in art practices and criticism. Reporting to the Retail Director and Operations Manager, the Bookstore Manager will be responsible for the daily operation, inventory management, sales reporting and analysis for the bookstore as well as the management of supporting staff.
The Bookstore Manager will:
• Cultivate customer relationships, correspondence and email list
• Serve as the community liaison
• Maintain relationships with local publishers and sales representatives
• Develop and execute special events programming, working closely with Hauser & Wirth staff
• Supervise two part-time staff members, including training, scheduling, and payroll, plus two interns
• Manage daily operations of the sales floor and stock areas, including making sales, providing informed recommendations to customers, fulfilling interdepartmental orders, opening and closing shop
• Manage inventory with bi-annual purchasing and returns cycles, as well as annual inventory reconciliation and loss prevention
• Provide robust daily, weekly, monthly, and annual sales reporting and analysis
• Work with the finance department to prepare and manage the annual budget
• Under Retail Director's directions, oversee and develop the bookstore with a diverse selection of contemporary art and culture publications
A qualified candidate:
• Has worked for two years in a bookstore.
• Has a commitment to the arts and will sustain an involvement in the arts community at large
• Is based in Los Angeles and possesses either a Bachelor’s Degree in the field of contemporary culture, art, art history, or philosophy, or a minimum of two years’ experience in a bookstore
• Is available 40 hours a week, including holidays and some evenings for events/openings
• Has management experience and the ability to lead by example
• Has strong organizational, analytic, and project management skills and is proficient in Excel
• Is detail oriented, can prioritize effectively, and is able to meet deadlines
• Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills
An ideal candidate also:
• Possesses a knowledge of modern and contemporary art as well as a familiarity with art and university publishing houses
• Is proficient in MS Office and Adobe Creative, has experience with a retail point of sale system, and is able to troubleshoot general tech issues
• Is proficient in social media platforms and has an interest in activating those networks to promote store events and inventory
• Is an avid reader
Applicants who meet the above qualifications, including the required work schedule, may apply by emailing a letter of interest and résumé to Skúta Helgason, Retail Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bookstore Manager Hauser & Wirth Bookstore ” in the subject line. ARTBOOK will review all applications and contact those who are most qualified to schedule an interview. Employment references will be requested and offer of employment is subject to a background check. ARTBOOK is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants receive consideration without regard to race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law.
About ARTBOOK, LLC
Founded in 2004, ARTBOOK partners with cultural organizations seeking to enrich their programming with the editorial content that a focused selection of well-conceived, authored, and designed books makes possible. ARTBOOK runs bookstores at MoMA PS1 and the Walker Art Center in addition to numerous pop up stores at art and photography fairs. On the web, artbook.com hosts e-commerce partnerships with museums and cultural institutions, including the Guggenheim Museum, The Whitney Museum of American Art, the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis Institute of Arts and Creative Capital. ARTBOOK LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of D.A.P./Distributed Art Publishers, Inc.
About Hauser & Wirth
Opened to the public in March 2016, Hauser & Wirth is a new destination in the heart of the burgeoning Downtown Arts District of Los Angeles. The gallery occupies the restored Globe Mills complex, an abandoned group of interconnected late 19th and early 20th century buildings and outdoor spaces that have been adapted by Creative Space, Los Angeles, in consultation with Annabelle Selldorf, Selldorf Architects. Here visitors discover innovative exhibitions devoted to modern masterworks and important contemporary art, as well as public programs and educational activities that contextualize the art on view for diverse audiences.
FALL 2017 INTERNSHIP
ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles Bookstore seeks a highly motivated individual with knowledge of and interest in contemporary art and culture for its Fall 2017 Internship Program.
Located within the Hauser & Wirth gallery complex in Los Angeles, ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth Bookstore's mission is to offer the most relevant publications in current art and culture. The internship position holds potential for those interested in gaining an understanding of the various roles that a bookstore within a gallery can play in the context of the art and culture industries of the 21st century.
The ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles Fall 2017 Internship requires a commitment of two eight-hour days per week for four months, beginning September 1, 2017, and running through December 31, 2017. End-date is flexible with holidays. Wednesday through Sunday. The store is closed Monday and Tuesday.
Intern will acquire and refine the following skills:
• Experience the role of the bookstore within the larger context of a contemporary arts institution
• Ability to assist with special events programming (book launches and signings)
• Ability to contribute content for social media and customer outreach efforts
• Ability to contribute focused research on specific artists and publishers
• Day-to-day tasks will include customer service, inventory management, shipping, submission review, and archiving.
Qualifications and Requirements
-A strong command of reading and writing in English
-Fluency with Microsoft Office programs on Mac-platforms
-Ability to multitask, and to balance short and long-term projects
-Is comfortable interacting with the public in store and over the phone
A strong candidate:
-Has an interest in current culture; arts, design, fashion, music and so on, and wants to learn more about contemporary art, books, and magazines
-Has a background or interest in graphic design, writing, editing, and/or research
-Has experience managing social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
-Has experience using the Adobe Creative Suite
-Flexible weekend and evening hours
-Fluent in social media
This is an unpaid internship program. School credit and community service hours are available to qualified applicants. All accepted into the ARTBOOK @ Hauser & Wirth Bookstore Fall Internship Program will be gifted a selection of art books upon completion of the internship.
Applicants who meet the above qualifications may apply by emailing a letter of interest and résumé to email@example.com before August 20th for consideration. Please write "AWH Fall Internship" in the subject heading. ARTBOOK is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants receive consideration without regard to race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law.
About ARTBOOK, LLC
Founded in 2004, ARTBOOK partners with cultural organizations seeking to enrich their programming with the editorial content that a focused selection of well-conceived, authored, and designed books makes possible. ARTBOOK runs bookstores at Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles, MoMA PS1, and the Walker Art Center in addition to numerous pop up stores at art and photography fairs.
About Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles
Hauser & Wirth is the Los Angeles location of Hauser & Wirth, the international gallery devoted to contemporary art and modern masters. A new destination in the heart of the burgeoning Downtown Arts District of Los Angeles, the gallery is located at 901 East 3rd Street.
ARTBOOK @ HAUSER & WIRTH BOOKSTORE
917 East 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013