LIBRARY & ACADEMIC
TRADE FAIRS & CONFERENCES
Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth Jobs & Internships
Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth LA Bookstore
Los Angeles, CA
Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth LA Bookstore seeks a part-time Bookseller: an individual with an interest in contemporary art and culture, a passion for books, and a commitment to superior customer service. The position is sought for a brick & mortar art bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles. With a focus on contemporary art and culture, the store seeks to complement and contextualize current art practices and criticism. Reporting to the Bookstore Manager, Booksellers will be responsible for the daily operation of the store as well as inventory management and customer service.
- Participate in daily store management.
- Be responsible for making sales in-store, over the phone, and via email
- Keep the store well stocked, tidy, and organized
- Provide daily sales reporting to the Bookstore Manager using the Point of Sales system
- Help manage Social Media. Provide content for social media and customer outreach efforts
- Assist with special events programming on site and off.
- Provide information and pass on knowledge to visitors about the store inventory as well as concurrent exhibitions at Hauser & Wirth and Greater LA.
A qualified candidate:
- Has a strong interest in the arts and wants to learn more about contemporary art and bookselling.
- Is based in Los Angeles and possesses either a Bachelor’s Degree in the fields of contemporary culture, art, art history, or philosophy, or a minimum of two years’ experience in a bookstore, publishing or equal involvement in current culture.
- Has a flexible schedule and is available 3 to 4 days a week, including holidays and some evenings for events/openings
- Has experience working with a team
- Has strong computer skills and proficient in using Adobe Creative Suite programs, Excel and Social Media platforms.
- Is neat and detail oriented, can prioritize effectively, and is able to meet deadlines
- Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Has experience writing about books and art.
An ideal candidate also:
- Possesses a knowledge of current culture and world events.
- Is passionate about the written word, writing and reading.
Applicants who meet the above qualifications, including the required work schedule, may apply by emailing a letter of interest and résumé to Lacy Soto, Store Manager and Buyer, to email@example.com with “Part-Time Bookseller Position Artbook @ H&W LA Bookstore” in the subject line. Lacy Soto will review all applications and contact those who are most qualified to schedule an interview. Employment references will be requested and offer of employment is subject to a background check. ARTBOOK is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants receive consideration without regard to race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law.
About ARTBOOK, LLC
Founded in 2004, ARTBOOK partners with cultural organizations seeking to enrich their programming with the editorial content that a focused selection of well-conceived, authored, and designed books makes possible. ARTBOOK runs bookstores at MoMA PS1 and the Walker Art Center in addition to numerous pop up stores at art and photography fairs. On the web, artbook.com hosts e-commerce partnerships with museums and cultural institutions, including the Guggenheim Museum, The Whitney Museum of American Art, the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis Institute of Arts and Creative Capital. ARTBOOK LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of D.A.P./Distributed Art Publishers, Inc.
About Hauser & Wirth LA
Opened to the public in March 2016, Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles is a destination in the heart of the burgeoning Downtown Arts District of Los Angeles. The gallery occupies the restored Globe Mills complex, an abandoned group of interconnected late 19th and early 20th century buildings.
FALL 2018 INTERNSHIP
Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles Bookstore
Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth LA Bookstore seeks a highly motivated individual with knowledge of and interest in contemporary art and culture for its Fall 2018 Internship Program.
Located at the Hauser & Wirth gallery complex in Los Angeles, Artbook @ H&W Los Angeles Bookstore's mission is to offer the most relevant publications in current art and culture. The internship position holds potential for those interested in gaining an understanding of the various roles that a bookstore can play in the context of the art and culture industries of the 21st century.
The Artbook @ H&W LA Bookstore Fall 2018 Internship requires 2-day-per-week, 4-month commitment beginning, beginning September 1, 2018 and running through December 31, 2018. Tuesday through Sunday. The store is closed Monday.
Intern will acquire and refine the following skills:
- Experience the role of the bookstore within the larger context of a contemporary art s institution
- Ability to assist with special events programming (book launches and signings, in store and off-site)
- Ability to contribute content for social media and customer outreach efforts
- Ability to contribute focused research on specific artists and publishers for upcoming Artbook Events
- Day-to-day tasks will include customer service, inventory management, shipping, submission review, and archiving.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A strong command of reading and writing in English
- Fluency with Microsoft Office programs on Mac-platforms
- Ability to multitask, and to balance short and long-term projects
- Is comfortable interacting with the public in store and over the phone
A strong candidate:
- Has an interest in current culture; arts, design, fashion, music and so on, and wants to learn more about contemporary art, books, and magazines
- Has a background or interest in graphic design, writing, editing, and/or research
- Has experience managing social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Has experience using the Adobe Creative Suite
- Flexible weekend and evening hours
- Fluent in social media
- Shows initiative and self-motivation
This is an unpaid internship program. School credit and community service hours are available to qualified applicants. All accepted into the Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth LA Bookstore Fall Internship Program will be gifted a selection of art books upon completion of the internship.
Applicants who meet the above qualifications may apply by emailing a letter of interest and résumé to Lacy Soto, Bookstore Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org before August 13th, 2018 for consideration. Please write Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles Bookstore FALL 2018 INTERNSHIP. Please write "AHW Fall Internship" in the subject heading. Artbook is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants receive consideration without regard to race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law.
About Artbook, LLC
Founded in 2004, Artbook partners with cultural organizations seeking to enrich their programming with the editorial content that a focused selection of well-conceived, authored, and designed books makes possible. Artbook runs bookstores at Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles, MoMA PS1, and the Walker Art Center in addition to numerous art and photography fairs.
About Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles
Hauser & Wirth represents emerging and established contemporary artists, has locations in Zurich, London, New York, Somerset, Hong Kong, Gstaad and Los Angeles and is a destination in the heart of the burgeoning Downtown Arts District of Los Angeles.
ARTBOOK @ HAUSER & WIRTH LA BOOKSTORE
917 East 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Phone: (213) 988-7413